MN Biz Leaders to Help Pick New Carlson School Dean
The search has officially begun for the next dean of the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management-and the team assembled to find the school's next leader comprises several local business leaders.
The University of Minnesota on Tuesday announced that Thomas Sullivan, senior vice president for academic affairs and provost, launched an international search committee to find Carlson's next dean. Mary Nichols, dean of the U's College of Continuing Education and a Carlson School professor, will chair the search committee. William Van Dyke-former chairman of Donaldson Company, Inc., and past chair of Carlson's board of overseers-is vice chair of the committee.
The search committee also includes several U professors and officials, as well as the following Minnesota business leaders:
- Bruce Beckman, finance director of General Mills, Inc., and former chair of the Carlson alumni board
- Lynn Casey, CEO and chair of Padilla Speer Beardsley
- Reatha Clark King, former president and executive director of the General Mills Foundation
- Judy Corson, co-founder of Custom Research, Inc.
- James Lawrence, CEO of Rothschild North America and member of Carlson's board of overseers
- Jeffrey Noddle, retired executive chair of Supervalu, Inc., and chair of Carlson's board of overseers
The university said that the search process will take place throughout the fall and winter, and the school hopes to name the next Carlson dean in March.
“Having consulted with university President Eric Kaler as well as those within and beyond the Carlson community, including local business leaders, we all agree that the Carlson School's new dean must continue and expand upon its excellence, great momentum, and exceptional progress,” Sullivan said in a statement.
Alison Davis-Blake, who served as dean of the U's Carlson School of Management for almost five years, announced in February her plans to leave her post to become dean of the University of Michigan's business school, a move that took effect on Monday.
Sri Zaheer is currently serving as the interim dean of the Carlson School. Upon naming Zaheer interim dean, the U said that it would select the search committee following the arrival of its new president, Eric Kaler, who began the job on July 1.