Metro Transit Reports Nearly 40 Million Bus And Train Rides In First Half Of 2013
Metro Transit reports that nearly 40 million riders used the local bus and trains during the first half of 2013.
That's a slight increase—0.8 percent over the same period last year.
Local urban bus service saw the largest gains, up 1 percent to more than 29 million riders.
The Blue Line light rail (Hiawatha) line was down slightly over last year's record totals, with fewer people using it for special events. Weekday ridership on the line, though, continues ahead of projections.
The North Star commuter rail line was up 15 percent over last year.
The raw numbers for January through June, 2013:
- Urban Local Bus: 29,346,372 on 60 routes
- Express Bus: 4,554,570 on 60 routes
- Suburban Local Bus: 769,748 on six routes
- Light Rail: 4,826,020 on one route
- Commuter Rail: 384,183 on one route
- Total: 39,880,893 on 128 routes