Best Buy Unveils New Totaltech Membership Program
Richfield-based Best Buy Co. Inc. on Tuesday announced that its new membership program Totaltech is now available nationwide. The program, which includes unlimited Geek Squad support, costs $199.99 per year.
The company had originally tested out the idea with its Best Buy Beta pilot program back in April. Best Buy Beta was available in about 60 stores in six states, including Minnesota.
Totaltech will also unify the company’s existing membership programs under a single banner.
Customers who have been members of Best Buy Total Tech Support, the company’s previous membership program, Best Buy Beta, or Geek Squad Tech Support are being upgraded to the new program.
In a news release, Best Buy officials touted these benefits for TotalTech members:
- Free year-round Geek Squad tech support on all the technology in members’ home, no matter where it was purchased;
- Totaltech Expert Access, a VIP service with access to dedicated phone and chat teams;
- Up to 24 months of product protection on most Best Buy purchases during active membership, including AppleCare+ on Apple products;
- Free delivery and standard installation;
- Exclusive Totaltech member prices;
- 20% off labor for repairs and advanced services and 10% off labor for custom installations;
- Extended 60-day return and exchange window on most products; and
- Free haul-away on most product replacements.
The company is also debuting Member Monday which will feature special events and exclusive deals for Totaltech members.
“Technology plays an increasingly crucial role in our lives today, and each customer needs technology in a different way,” said Allison Peterson, chief customer officer at Best Buy, in a statement. “That’s why we created Totaltech, to not only meet all of these needs, but also to give them a heightened sense of confidence — in getting a great price, in using their tech and by knowing we have their back if something goes wrong.”
Best Buy has been one of the large retailers that has benefitted from the pandemic as technology becomes increasingly important in people’s lives. The company reported that its second quarter sales (May-July) were up 19.6 percent to $11.85 billion.
Best Buy acquired Geek Squad, a local startup, back in 2002.