19 MN Cos. in Fortune 500; Most Move Down in Rank
Nineteen Minnesota companies made this year's Fortune 500 list of the largest public and closely held corporations in the United States based on revenue-but the bulk of them moved down in ranking.
The top-ranking local company is Minnetonka-based UnitedHealth Group, Inc., which didn't move from its 22nd-place ranking on last year's list, despite an 8.2 percent uptick in sales between 2010 and 2011.
Fourteen of the 19 Minnesota companies on the list fell in ranking from last year-some substantially. Edina-based Nash Finch Company, for example, fell 49 spots and came close to falling off the list after its revenue dropped 3.7 percent to $4.8 billion in 2011. Meanwhile, Minneapolis-based Thrivent Financial for Lutherans fell 14 spots even though its revenue increased 4 percent to $7.8 billion in 2011.
Most of the local companies that had the greatest gains are in the agricultural sector. Plymouth-based The Mosaic Company moved up 78 spots, Inver Grove Heights-based CHS, Inc., moved up 49 spots, and Arden Hills-based Land O'Lakes moved up eight spots. Eden Prairie-based C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc., and St. Paul-based Ecolab, Inc., also moved up in ranking.
All 19 of the Minnesota companies on this year's list appeared on last year's list. Alliant Techsystems, Inc., was on the list both years-but it's no longer a Minnesota company as it moved its headquarters from Eden Prairie to Arlington, Virginia, last October.
Minnesota companies that made the 2012 list-along with their rankings, annual revenue, and position on last year's list-are:
- 22-UnitedHealth Group, Inc., $101.9 billion (ranked 22nd last year)
- 38-Target Corporation, $69.9 billion (33rd last year)
- 53-Best Buy Company, Inc., $50.3 billion (47th last year)
- 75-Supervalu, Inc., $37.5 billion (61st last year)
- 78-CHS, Inc., $36.9 billion (103rd last year)
- 102-3M Company, $29.6 billion (97th last year)
- 132-U.S. Bancorp, $21.4 billion (126th last year)
- 164-Medtronic, Inc., $15.9 billion (158th last year)
- 181-General Mills, Inc., $14.9 billion (166th last year)
- 210-Land O'Lakes, $12.8 billion (218th last year)
- 246-Xcel Energy, Inc., $10.7 billion (237th last year)
- 248-Ameriprise Financial, Inc., $10.6 billion (246th last year)
- 259-C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc., $10.3 billion (265th last year)
- 268-The Mosaic Company, $9.9 billion (346th last year)
- 327-Hormel Foods Corporation, $7.9 billion (325th last year)
- 332-Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, $7.8 billion (318th last year)
- 365-Ecolab, Inc., $6.8 billion (378th last year)
- 437-St. Jude Medical, Inc., $5.6 billion (436th last year)
- 498-Nash Finch Company, $4.8 billion (449th last year)
Exxon Mobil surpassed Wal-Mart for the top spot on this year's Fortune 500 list. Wal-Mart ranked second, and Chevron, ConocoPhillips, and General Motors rounded out the top five.
See the entire Fortune 500 list here.