MSP Gets 13 New Eateries from Local Food Celebs.
Delta Air Lines on Monday announced a star-studded lineup of new eateries that will be added as part of larger improvements taking place at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
In addition to a long list of new full-service eateries backed by local food stars-including Andrew Zimmern, Doug Flicker, and Lenny Russo-the airport will add a “virtual newsstand” where travelers can rent an iPad and download content to enjoy during flights. Upon arrival at their destination, travelers return the rented devices.
Delta said that the new restaurants will be located in Concourse G-and the terminal's redesign will begin with “a phased approach” in January 2012.
Here's a list of the new full-service restaurants:
- Mill City Tavern: Inspired by James Beard Award-nominee Lenny Russo of Heartland, who is known for his use of local ingredients.
- Mimosa: Created by chef Russell Klein of Meritage fame. The restaurant will showcase Klein's French cuisine.
- Minnesota Beer Hall: Chef Erick Harvey of Victory 44 helped develop a lively pub, featuring 48 tap beers, signature cocktails, and “classic food staples.”
- Minni Bar: Featuring a menu overseen by chef and Travel Channel celebrity Andrew Zimmern, the restaurant is described as “an easygoing cafÅ½ offering a menu of globally inspired sandwiches.”
- Twinburger: Scott Nelson-owner of Matt's Bar, which is famous for the Jucy Lucy-helped create this new eatery.
- Shoyu: Featuring a “modern Japanese menu” with noodles and dumpling wrappers, this restaurant was developed by Chef Koshiki Yonemura Smith.
- Vero: Offering individually-sized thin-crust pizzas from Ann Kim, chef and owner of the popular Pizzeria Lola.
- Volante: Doug Flicker, whose Piccolo restaurant has garnered significant praise in the local food scene, will oversee this new “modern Italian restaurant.”
Delta describes the following new eateries as “gourmet food halls,” which will offer fresh produce, baked goods, coffee, and tea, as well as other foods:
- Cibo Express Gourmet Markets: Offering freshly prepared foods and bottled drinks. Chef Michelle Gayer of the local Salty Tart Bakery created a line of sandwiches featuring artisanal meats and cheeses. Local bakery Rustica will provide freshly baked bread.
- Custom Burger: Featuring hamburgers made of meat from regional farms. The menu will also include veggie, turkey, and fish burgers, as well as milkshakes and fried pickles.
- Lucy's Asian Kitchen: A quick-casual Asian restaurant where meals are made in a wok before customers.
- agliare: Offering pizza by the slice or by the pie.
- World Bean: Minneapolis' Dogwood Coffee Company will be the purveyor of fine coffees for this shop, and Bill Waddington, owner of TeaSource, will select seasonal tea offerings.
In other news from the Twin Cities restaurant scene, chef Isaac Becker of Minneapolis restaurants 112 Eatery and Bar La Grassa, recently was named the best chef in the Midwest by the James Beard Foundation.