MN Production Co. Files Suit Against Food Network

Page Productions, a Plymouth-based company that created and produces the Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, claims that the Food Network breached its contract.

The company that created and produces the Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives-Plymouth-based Page Productions-is taking the network to court after it allegedly failed to meet contractual obligations.

According to the complaint, which was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Minnesota, Page Productions and the Food Network entered into a series production agreement in 2007 for the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives television show, which features host Guy Fieri.

Since then, the lawsuit said, the two parties have amended the agreement to include 39 additional episodes for the show's 12th, 13th, and 14th seasons.

According to the lawsuit, the agreement states that the Food Network is required to “furnish the services of the host” and is responsible for paying the host's talent fee, which is separate from the series' budget.

But Page Productions claims that the Food Network has breached the contract by “failing to provide the services of a host and failing to make payments required by the contract” for the 13th and 14th seasons; the 12th season has already been filmed and is currently airing on the network.

“[The Food Network] informed Page that [it] would not comply with its obligations under the contract and would not allow Page to produce the series after season 12,” the suit said.

Page Productions said that it has been forced to lay off employees as a result of the network's breach of contract.

“After four years of Page Productions providing the Food Network with one of their biggest hits in years, the network told us to stop production in the midst of a three-season contract,” the company said in a statement that was issued through its law firm, Fredrikson & Byron. “As a result, we have had to lay off staff, and as a last resort we have had to turn to litigation to resolve this issue.”

The local production company, which also produces Outrageous Food for the Food Network, is seeking unspecified damages and a jury trial.

A Monday afternoon phone call to a Food Network representative seeking comment on the suit was not immediately returned.