For the grand opening of a retail organization-products store, the caterer used the client’s merchandise to enhance the food presentation. The event combined a live band, checkout counters serving as bars, butler-passed hors d’oeuvres and champagne, floral arrangements, and six appetizer stations. All the food was served in or presented with the client’s merchandise:
• Plastic lipstick holders displayed mini–Italian cones.
• Frames held open-faced Rueben bites.
• Plates and forks were set out in letter trays and acrylic pencil holders, and metal file drawers held backup flatware and napkins.
• Bamboo trash receptacles added height to the Asian food station. Moo shu wraps were presented in storage boxes, and Asian skewers were served in bamboo file trays.
• Wooden file holders were manipulated to serve as trays for mini burgers.
• Desk drawers lined with wheat grass displayed blue-cheese-and-scallion adult lollipops and other cheese appetizers.
• Desserts were served on brightly colored cork board trays and in box lids.
The client’s products served as vases for the floral arrangements, too. The Midwestern-inspired menu included locally grown produce and locally produced beer and wine.