From the Expert: Growing Your Brand on TikTok
Jake Neerland joined e-sports media company Wisdom Gaming in 2019. He recently became brand director for the Minneapolis-based company after working on social media for Torrent, one of Wisdom’s e-sports teams. He helped launch Torrent on TikTok in 2020 and grew the team’s following to more than 100,000 in just six months. He shares his top tips for fine-tuning your TikTok moves.
- Post content that resonates. First and foremost, create content that speaks to you. This will help you establish your brand’s voice and style and make it easier to create content that resonates with your audience.
- Quantity and quality. Focus on quality; strive for quantity. There tends to be a lot of repetitive content on social, so creating content that sets you apart from others in your space is key. Take the time to figure out what works and doesn’t work for your brand, which will ultimately lead to a high-quality, high-quantity approach.
- Be consistent. Post regularly, even if that means every day. Establish a posting schedule that will keep you consistent and keep your brand top of mind for current and new audiences.
- Engage with your community. Growth on TikTok is directly connected to your relationship with the community you’ve created. Whether it’s responding to comments or interacting with related content, your account is more likely to grow with engagement. You can take this to the next level by engaging with other accounts within your space, reaching beyond your comment section.
- Pay attention to what’s trending. TikTok is always evolving, which means your strategy should be too. One way to keep content fresh is to engage with trends, which can lead to higher impressions and engagement. That said, trends should be one aspect of your content strategy, not the main focus.