2012 State Fair Attendance Up 1%, Falls Short of Record
The 2012 Minnesota State Fair boasted higher attendance than last year but didn’t break a single record.
Between August 23 and September 3, 1,788,512 people attended the “Great Minnesota Get-Together”—just 1,985 people short of the all-time high of 1,790,497 in 2009. Attendance was up slightly (1.05 percent) compared to last year.
The 2012 fair had the highest attendance since 2009 and the second-highest overall, but it didn’t break a single one-day attendance record.
Meanwhile, fairgoers were able to cast their votes for the first-ever People’s Choice Awards at this year’s fair. More than 1,100 people voted, and the winners in each category are:
- Best food or beverage: Turkey To Go, Minnesota Turkey Growers Association
- Best food or beverage value: All-you-can-drink milk offered by the Midwest Dairy Association
- Best customer experience at a food or beverage vendor: Giggles’ Campfire Grill
- Best non-food product or service: Giant Slide
- Best non-food product or service value: ZRS Fossils and Gifts
- Best customer experience at a non-food vendor: Fair Do’s
Vendors offered 40 new food offerings this year, including fried lamb testicles and bacon ice cream. Musical performances included Alan Jackson, Kiss, and Motley Crue.