TCB Wins “Magazine of the Year,” 15 Other Awards
Twin Cities Business (TCB) won the distinction of “Magazine of the Year” and took home 15 other awards from the Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association’s 16th annual Excellence Awards gala on Thursday.
The trade association’s highest honor—Magazine of the Year—recognizes consistent, comprehensive, and cumulative excellence in publishing. Now in its third year, the award is based on point accumulation since 1997, the year of the first Excellence Awards. Magazines from across the state earn points for every award won—three points for each gold award, two for silver, and one for bronze. The magazine with the most cumulative points receives the Magazine of the Year designation. After winning the award, a magazine’s point total resets back to zero—and it begins accruing points the following year that count toward a second win.
For Magazine of the Year, TCB competed against four finalists: sister magazine Mpls.St.Paul, Experience Life, Lake Superior Magazine, and Midwest Home.
The gold awards presented to TCB were:
• Overall excellence (business/trade, circulation over 30,000)
• Editor’s or publisher’s editorial or letter to the readers (business/trade): “The Road to Prison” by Editor in Chief Dale Kurschner (May 2012 issue)
• Feature article (business/trade, circulation over 30,000): “Unplug and Get Your Hands Dirty” by Senior Editor Gene Rebeck (March 2012 issue)
• Cover design (business/trade and education, circulation over 30,000): April 2012 cover featuring Twins Manager Ron Gardenhire, who was featured in the story “Dugout Confidential”
• Single page or spread design (business/trade, circulation over 30,000): “Aspiring Edisons” (September 2011 issue)
• Website (business/trade): tcbmag.com
The magazine won silver awards for overall design; feature article “Full Steam Ahead” from the February 2012 issue; single page or spread design for “Growth Cycle” from the April 2012 issue; and directory for the 2012 B.I.G. Book of business lists.
Bronze awards were given to TCB in the categories of profile article for “Cooper’s Way” in the March 2012 issue; cover design for the December 2011 cover featuring Michele Tafoya as one of the “200 Minnesotans You Should Know”; feature design for “Plausible Deniability?” from the May 2012 issue; single-topic issue, special section, or special supplement for “The Event Environment” from the June 2012 issue; and typography for “Hot Mama, Hot Concept” from the June 2012 issue.
This year’s awards event recognized work published between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012.
Overall excellence awards were distributed in several categories. In addition to the one awarded to TCB, Mpls.St.Paul won a gold-level award among general interest publications that have a circulation above 60,000.
There are 110 members of the Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association, including 55 member organizations, some of which produce multiple publications. Hundreds of entries were submitted for the 2012 awards event, which was attended by more than 270 and took place at the Nicollet Island Pavilion in Minneapolis.