20 MN Cos. Make Fortune 500 List
A total of 20 Minnesota companies made the 2011 Fortune 500 list of the largest companies in the United States based on revenue.
Minnesota companies were led once again by Minnetonka-based UnitedHealth Group, Inc., which fell one spot from the 2010 list to 22nd, despite an uptick in sales. There was a similar trend among some other Minnesota companies, as many saw increased revenue but still slid a bit in the rankings from last year's list. Plymouth-based The Mosaic Company fell more than 100 positions after seeing a roughly 34 percent drop in revenue. Other companies, like Maplewood-based 3M Company and St. Paul-based Land O'Lakes, climbed a few spots in this year's ranking.
All 20 of the Minnesota companies to appear on this year's list were present on last year's roster. But PepsiAmericas, Inc.-which appeared in 2010-is no longer based in Minnesota. It was acquired last February by Purchase, New York-based PepsiCo, Inc.
Minnesota companies that made the list-along with their rankings, annual revenue, and position on the list last year-are:
- 22-UnitedHealth Group, Inc., $94.2 billion (ranked 21st last year)
- 33-Target Corporation, $67.4 billion (30th last year)
- 47-Best Buy Company, Inc., $49.7 billion (45th last year)
- 61-Supervalu, Inc., $40.6 billion (47th last year)
- 97-3M Company, $26.7 billion (106th last year)
- 103-CHS, Inc., $25.3 billion (91st last year)
- 126-U.S. Bancorp, $20.5 billion (121st last year)
- 158-Medtronic, Inc., $15.8 billion (160th last year)
- 166-General Mills, Inc., $14.8 billion (155th last year)
- 218-Land O'Lakes, $11.1 billion (226th last year)
- 237-Xcel Energy, Inc., $10.3 billion (244th last year)
- 246-Ameriprise Financial, Inc., $10 billion (288th last year)
- 265-C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc., $9.3 billion (301st last year)
- 318-Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, $7.5 billion (342nd last year)
- 325-Hormel Foods Corporation, $7.2 billion (340th last year)
- 346-The Mosaic Company, $6.8 billion (231st last year)
- 378-Ecolab, Inc., $6.1 billion (365th last year)
- 436-St. Jude Medical, Inc., $5.2 billion (445th last year)
- 449-Nash Finch Company, $5 billion (400th last year)
- 472-Alliant Techsystems, Inc., $4.8 billion (454th last year)
The nation's three largest companies are Wal-Mart, Exxon Mobil, and Chevron-all of which maintained their spots from last year. ConocoPhillips and Fannie Mae surpassed General Electric and Bank of America to round out the top five.
See the entire Fortune 500 list here.