12 MN Cos. on Nat’l List of 150 “Top Workplaces”
Twelve Minnesota-based companies made a new list of the 150 “top workplaces” in the United States.
WorkplaceDynamics, an Exton, Pennsylvania-based employee survey developer that compiled the list, said it polled more than 1 million employees at 872 companies across the country. Only companies that had more than 1,000 U.S. employees were surveyed. Based on headquarters locations, Minnesota had the fourth-largest number of companies on the list among all states. It followed Texas, where 30 of the listed companies are based, Illinois (18 companies), and Massachusetts (14 companies).
Survey respondents rated their employers based on 22 factors, including pay and benefits, work-life balance, training options, and company values and ethics. Companies were then ranked based on their average rating among employees. In order to be considered for the ranking, a company had to have at least 350 of its employees respond to the survey, WorkplaceDynamics said.
The 12 companies that made the list, along with their rankings, the cities in which they are headquartered, and their number of U.S. employees, are:
11. Minnesota Twins, Minneapolis, 1,600
27. Bremer Bank, St. Paul, 1,800
36. Graco, Inc., Minneapolis, 1,766
40. Mortenson Construction, Golden Valley, 2,033
44. Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare, St. Paul, 1,250
53. Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Golden Valley, 2,100
60. Securian Financial Group, Inc., St. Paul, 3,500
65. C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc., Eden Prairie, 6,840
83. Prime Therapeutics, LLC, Eagan 2,179
91. H.B. Fuller Company, Vadnais Heights, 1,116
97. Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Minneapolis, 3,000
141. Park Nicollet Health Services (now merged with HealthPartners), St. Louis Park, 8,200
According to the Star Tribune, 23 of the companies that were on the top workplaces list have employees in Minnesota, including the 12 that are based here.
Companies on the list that are not based in the state but have employees here include Texas-based natural foods grocery chain Whole Foods Market, which has been rapidly adding stores in Minnesota; New York-based Weber Shandwick, which is Minnesota’s largest PR firm based on companywide net fee income; and Chicago-based Baker Tilly Virchow Krause and New York-based Ernst & Young, both of which are among Minnesota’s 10-largest accounting firms based on Minnesota CPAs.
To view the full list, click here.
WorkplaceDynamics develops proprietary employee surveys that organizations use to measure employee satisfaction. The company also partners with various publications, including the Star Tribune, to help produce regional “top workplaces” lists.