4 MN Companies Among 100 Greenest in U.S.
Four Minnesota companies-Best Buy Company, Medtronic, Inc., U.S. Bancorp, and 3M Company-ranked among the 100 greenest companies on Newsweek's recently released 2011 Green Rankings list.
The list ranks the 500 largest public companies in the United States based on their “green score,” which encompasses environmental footprint, environmental management, and transparency.
Of all the Minnesota companies, Richfield-based Best Buy ranked the highest at 19 with a green score of 70.2 out of possible 100. Fridley-based Medtronic ranked 55th with a green score of 64.2, while Minneapolis-based U.S. Bancorp was close behind at 57 with a green score of 64. And Maplewood-based 3M ranked 85th with a green score of 61.3.
Newsweek generated a list of the largest public companies in the nation based on revenue, market capitalization, and number of employees. The magazine then worked with environmental research providers Trucost and Sustainalytics to assess more than 700 metrics, including green policies, greenhouse gas emissions, water use, and solid waste disposal.
Armonk, New York-based IBM took top honors with a green score of 82.5, followed by Palo Alto, California-based Hewlett-Packard and Overland Park, Kansas-based Sprint Nextel.
A total of 16 Minnesota companies were included in the green score rankings of the 500 largest U.S. companies. Following is a list of all the local companies, their headquarters, and their 2011 rankings:
- 19: Best Buy, Richfield
- 55: Medtronic, Fridley
- 57: U.S. Bancorp, Minneapolis
- 85: 3M Company, Maplewood
- 149: Supervalu, Eden Prairie
- 189: C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Eden Prairie
- 190: UnitedHealth Group, Minnetonka
- 222: Fastenal Company, Winona
- 236: Target Corporation, Minneapolis
- 265: Ecolab, St. Paul
- 278: St. Jude Medical, Little Canada
- 325: General Mills, Golden Valley
- 429: Hormel Foods, Austin
- 435: Xcel Energy, Minneapolis
- 457: The Mosaic Company, Plymouth
- 486: Ameriprise Financial, Minneapolis
To see Newsweek's entire list, click here.